Study Abroad Office
Institute of Social Sciences
Due to the current prevention measures in the context of the Corona Pandemic, consultations are only available by email or telephone
Departmental Coordinator for International Affairs
Exchange and Erasmus Students
Virtual Contact Hours
During the first week of lectures we offer the possibility for a virtual face to face consultation. If you have any questions about the choice of course, other questions about the course schedule, difficulties with the registration for courses, or questions about studying at the Institute of Social Sciences, you are welcome to our video consultation. You can access the video consultation hour via the link provided. Otherwise you can also contact us by email.
19.10.2020, 11:00-12:00 a.m.
21.10.2020, 02:00-03:00 p.m.
The Institute of Social Sciences holds a wide range of international partnerships all over the world and in Europe in the context of the Erasmus program. Bachelor and master students from our partner universities can study at Osnabrück University for one or two semesters within our regular study programs and obtain ECTS points (no degrees will be awarded to exchange students). To come to Osnabrück University please follow the application procedure for exchange and Erasmus students.
- First, students need to apply for studying abroad at their home university.
- Before students can directly apply to Osnabrück University they need to be officially nominated by their home university. The international coordinator should send the nomination using the nomination form via email to our International Office to email@example.com. Please make sure to send the nomination well before the application deadline.
- Nomination Deadline for Partner Universities: 1st April to 15th June for following winter semester, 1st October to 15th December for following summer semester.
- After the nomination information has been send, exchange and Erasmus students need to complete the online application and send the supporting documents by post.
- Application deadlines for students: 1st July for the following winter semester (beginning in October), 1st January for the following summer semester (beginning in April).
- Autumn Semester 2020/21
Start of the Semester: 1st October 2020
Welcome Period for International Students: 1st – 16th October 2020
Freshman Week for Degree Seeking Students: 12st – 17th October 2020
Start of Lectures: 19st October 2020
Christmas Holidays: 19th December 2020 – 2nd January 2021
End of Lectures: 6th February 2021
End of the Semester: 31st March 2021
Spring Semester 2021
Start of the Semester: 1st April 2021
Start of Lectures: 12th April 2021
End of Lectures: 17th July 2021
End of the Semester: 31st September 2021
- There is no need to include proof of German language proficiency in the nomination or application, but our partner universities are supposed to select students who meet the required level (German B1).
- The main language of instruction at Osnabrück University is German, especially in bachelor programs. However, there is a small number of courses in English offered each semester.
- Exchange and Erasmus students can enroll in all courses on their level of study (bachelor or master) at our Institute of Social Sciences (other departments may have different policies and restrictions about course choices). Depending on the student’s background and subject at the home university it is possible to also take some courses from other departments and institutes.
- Course List Institute of Social Sciences_Autumn Semester 2020/21
- Courses in English by Subject Area
- A course catalogue including all courses and study programs at Osnabrück University can be downloaded here ("Veranstaltungsverzeichnis")
Learning Agreement and Course Enrolment
- Students will enroll in courses through our online course registration system (stud.ip) after arrival during the Welcome Week.
- To ensure the enrolment for courses with limited capacities it is highly recommended to send a Learning Agreement well in advance before the start of the semester to the Study Abroad Office at the Institute of Social Sciences (Mareike Tudor, firstname.lastname@example.org). The course selection can still be modified at the beginning of the study at Osnabrück.
- For all students in the framework of the ERASMUS program we would prefer to conclude the new Online Learning Agreement (OLA). Students can fill in all information through the ERASMUS+ app and have it signed digitally by all parties. Please put the follwoing data as responsible person for signature at the receiving institution: Mareike Tudor, Institute of Social Sciences, email@example.com
- Pre-sessional German language course (for international students and exchange students, fee-based)
- During each semester our language center offers a wide range of free German language courses on different levels. There will be a placement test at the beginning of the semester.
- For more informationen please visit the webpage of our Language Center.
- Exchange students from partner universities can apply for accommodation in the student dorms operated by Studentenwerk Osnabrück (Student Services) through the International Office.
Services for International Students
- Our service sites offer information about visa and entry requirements and your arrival in Osnabrück. You can also find information about accommodation and insurance. And last but not least check out our tips for culture and leisure activities!
- Unlike previous semesters, we will, unfortunately, not be able to offer a welcome week this coming winter semester. In spite of that, we would, however, like to make sure that you will get the utmost support on your way to our – and very soon also your – university. The International Office has set up an Information Page Welcome Hub for International Students.
This page shows a list of various pieces of information concerning the handling of the pandemia as well as our service and welcoming offer.